Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Life Without Facebook

About ten days ago my Facebook account was ‘disabled’ because I couldn’t remember my password. At the time I thought it was the end of the world and the week ahead ensured big withdrawal symptoms.

How was I going to get through life not having access to all my friends’ photos, weekend antics, status updates etc?

Well after waiting for Facebook to get back to me for a week and having first been told not to open a new account as that will confuse them when they get around to searching for my account and un-disabling me, I then had another go at contacting them and got a response saying how sorry they are that I am having difficulties but they can not answer every email but are reading my reports. Well that’s really helpful isn’t it!?

So we are now at week two of not having access to Facebook and I’m starting to be very thankful. I didn’t realise before how addicted I was! I would have Facebook logged in each night while I sat and watched television, checking in every so often on what all my friends were up to, stalking people I didn’t know, or did know but weren’t ‘friends’ with etc etc. Now I have time to do other things….like, read. I used to read a lot but then in the last few years found I couldn’t find the time. So I’m reading, and I’m going for walks after work, and I’m talking to friends on the phone instead of via Facebook.

At the moment I’m happy being disabled from Facebook; I’m not holding my breath that they will ever get back to me (I suppose they do have 50,000,000 other helpdesk queries to contend with) and I probably will open up another account. There are photos of people’s weddings I want to see, and friend’s kids growing up etc, but apart from that I don’t miss it now. On the other hand, if it was my choice not to use Facebook, knowing that I could access it at any time, I don’t think I would have been very good at keeping away from it.

I hope my ‘friends’ are missing me though. I didn’t get to say goodbye or tell them where I was going or how to reach me now. I wonder if they have even noticed that I’m not there anymore….

No comments:

Post a Comment